GaAs RF Electronics
GaAs Electronic Devices
II-VI’s pHEMT GaAs process technology and associated standard product offering represent the output of many years of experience working closely with system engineers in various end markets. All products are 100% DC and RF tested at wafer level to ensure technical compliance to specification. Products can be supplied in either die form or as diced wafers ready for automated assembly. All die-level products are 100% visually inspected. All products supplied at wafer-level have an accompanying electronic wafer map clearly identifying known RF good die.
II-VI’s GaAs products enable a broad range of applications.
II-VI delivers bare die on wafer according to the customer’s design. A custom specific fabrication process is prepared by combining and adjusting II-VI standard process modules.
- Complete process line: Prototype fabrication, pilot production
- Full process control: Traceability, standard unit process modules
- Wafer level testing: Measurement and analyzing, documentation
GaAs Electronic Devices
GaAs Device Applications
Discrete Low noise Amplifiers
- Low noise and driver amplifiers
- Voltage controlled oscillators
- Point-to-point and digital radio
- Cellular output amplifier
- Satellite uplink transmitters
- Test instrumentation
- Fiber optics
- Broadband communications
- Low noise front end amplification
- Satellite communications gain blocks
SiC Device Fabrication
For design verification
- Complete 100mm process line: Prototype fabrication, pilot production
- Full process control: Traceability, Standard unit process modules
- Wafer level testing: Measurement & analyzing, Documentation
SiC Process Modules
II-VI has developed a unique set of key processes enabling the fabrication of advanced SiC power devices, as well as for example sensors for exhaust gases, UV detection, or pressure measurement.
- Substrate Buffer Technology: Reducing defects penetrating from substrate into device epi
- Advanced SiC Epitaxy: Multilayer pn-junctions, thick epilayers & embedded structures
- Ion Implantation Doping: Hot high energy implantation and high temperature anneal
- Deep Trench Etching: 1-20 ?m with precise side-wall control for void-free re-growth
- Gate Oxide Technology: Advanced oxide technology with in-situ-doped polysilicon gate
- Ohmic & Schottky Contact: Wide range of metal combinations and silicide processes
- Metallization Process: Thick Aluminum for wire bonding
- Edge Termination: Combined with thick passivation for HV devices
II-VI offer a number of power device technologies. The process can be optimized to meet the specific requirements, e.g. packaging compatible metallization.
- Schottky diode: For material evaluation
- JBS diode: Both implanted and epitaxial 3DSiC concepts
- HV-PiN diode: Epitaxial anode and pn-junction grown in one run
- Vertical DMOSFET/UMOSFET: Advanced gate oxide technology using deposited oxides
- Epitaxial buried grid JFET: Based on embedded epitaxial technology
SiC Device Applications
The following are some applications where the use of SiC brings advantages:
- Electric vehicles motor drives, chargers and charge stations
- Power supplies with battery back-up (UPS) for data centers
- Solar power inverters for DC to AC conversion
- Industry motor drives for speed controlled pumps, fans and machines
- Train motor drives and auxiliary power
- Offshore wind AC to DC conversion
- Solid state power transformer for grid
- Speed control of MW motors in process industry
The main benefits with SiC power electronics are:
- SiC extends the driving range of an electric car by 10%.
- More efficient re-use of braking energy in a commuter train can save 30% electricity.
- ROI for replacing an old transformer in 247 operation with SiC is less than 3 years.
- Smaller size
Switching frequency can be increased 10x with SiC. Therefore capacitors, coils and magnetics can be smaller and the size of the power converter can be reduced by 80%. The lower weight also makes installation and handling easier.
- Less cooling.
Lower losses generate less heat and thus require less cooling efforts. This simplifies the whole system design by e.g. replacing water cooling with passive air-cooling.
- Lower cost
Less amount of material and simplified cooling reduce the total cost of power converter.